Sunday 20 May 2018

Project Fyreslayer Part 1

Hi!

Well I'm now officially on holiday for a week and have spent the last few days thinking about what I want to do about re-engaging with my hobby and as I mentioned in my previous post, I've gone for Age of Sigmar Skirmish!

I quite liked the idea of the assorted realms of the setting and will be adding my own spin on it in the coming week to give me somewhere to set the action but first things first, what force to go for?

Wotcher

After a bit of perusal, I settled on Fyrselayers as I really like the concept of furious stunties wielding axes while sporting fine headgear and a quick peek at Ebay snagged me five Vulcite Berzerkers for under a tenner.

Hopefully they will arrive in the next few days and I'm quite looking forward to putting them together and starting painting, which in itself is quite a promising sign! Looking at my paints, I think I need to invest in some new metallics, not to mention some more ruddy flesh tones but we'll see what we can do!

 Eat My Axe!

The plan is to paint these five and if all goes well, expand the warband to ten or so models and then move onto another warband and once I have two small forces, start playing out a mini campaign of interlinked skirmishes and see where it takes me.

I've spotted a few suitable miniatures from other ranges to add character to the warband and we shall see how things go!

 Paul Bonner Artwork!

Setting wise, I plan on using Stormburg as the main base of the campaign. Back in the day, Future Publishing produced a hobby related magazine called Arcane which had a monthly encounter supplement which gave you a setting, characters and plot hooks and Stormburg was always a favourite of mine (Arcane died the death as so many others before and after as it was neither fish nor fowl and tried to cover Miniatures, RPG, Cardgames and even Boardgames)

Stormburg, City of Storms

I always liked the setting and even painted up a fair amount of Stormburg militia back in the day and rather like the idea of re-exploring the City of Storms, especially as it's tendency to move between the realms is brilliant for Age of Sigmar.

Coupled with the need to trade, intriguing from the ruling council and sinister cultists, Stormburg will make for a good starting point for my project and we shall see how things develop going forward, especially as it will allow me to incorporate elements of magitech into my games as Stormburg flits between many worlds and time periods!

Over the next week, I hope to detail Stormburg and get the first five Fyreslayers painted up and who knows, I may even be inspired to paint something from my rather neglected leadpile!

In the meantime, All the best!

9 comments:

  1. The very best of luck with this new project, Richard, and long may the painting mojo continue. I own "AoS Skirmish" but have gone with "Shadespire" currently as particular poison, so I'm very interested in how you get on with this game. Lots of postings please ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Hopefully I'll get inspired to keep up with the effort!

      Delete
  2. Nice, I'm off this week too (which is a bit of a pain what with all the GDPR Phoenix stuff going live this week) so I might actually get some painting done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really looking forward to seeing how this all develops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will be a project I will complete!

      As I only have to put together and paint five miniatures, it should be fairly easy. The challenge will be to keep the momentum going!

      All the best!

      Delete
  4. Ha, I was just reading through the Stormburg adventure a few days ago. I was thinking of running it as the base setting for my RPG group using Lamentations of the Flame Princess.

    I've been getting tired of mass battles and the drudge of army painting. Been thinking about getting more into AoS skirmish, shadespire and Necromunda of late.

    Looking forward to seeing where you go with this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adventures produced by Arcane were actually pretty handy and I have plans for several of them to make an appearance in my mini campaign!

      All the best!

      Delete
  5. Have you thought about Shadespire. You would only need to paint the 4 slayers and you have a playable force.

    I find to great for hobby mojo as I only have to paint a maximum of 7 models (Skellies). The rest are 3 to 5 models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handily GW has just announced that they are making all the Shadespire gangs available as miniatures only which is handy as I'm not too keen on the card/board/miniatures game hybrid so doubt I'd have much use for the cards if I'm honest.

      Saying that, it's been getting some cracking reviews...

      All the best!

      Delete